Dogs aren’t born mooing, and people aren’t born gay.Focus on the Family
The purpose of LGBT Science is not to justify homosexuality. As a natural part of the world’s biological diversity it needs no justification. We also have no interest in making the argument that LGBT people deserve equal rights because they are “born this way.” In a free country, it should not matter whether one’s sexual orientation is inborn or a choice.
Truth Wins Out created this website because anti-activists regularly distort science for political gain. In doing so, they falsely portray LGBT people in a negative light and present homosexuality as either a biological anomaly or a transitory phase. The result from such deceit is that many parents are made to feel guilty about having gay children, and LGBT youth are often shamed into futile attempts to change their sexual orientation.
As the American Psychiatric Association points out, such attempts to change from gay to straight do not work and can cause “anxiety, depression, and self-destructive behavior.” It can also lead to LGBT youth becoming estranged from their parents, which can have disastrous consequences. In 2009, San Francisco State University researcher Caitlin Ryan reported in the Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics, that “LGBT teens who experienced negative feedback from their family were 8 times more likely to have attempted suicide, 6 times as vulnerable to severe depression, and 3 times more likely to use drugs.”
By creating LGBT Science to rebut deliberate scientific distortions made by unaccomplished and unpublished faux experts, we hope to limit the harm caused by their misinformation. Here are a few examples of why an educational website like LGBT Science is critically needed:
- Christopher Doyle is the director of the International Healing Foundation and Voice of the Voiceless. These are organizations that promote the discredited practice of conversion therapy. Despite no scientific training, Doyle, a graduate of Liberty University, appeared on the Christian Broadcast Network on July 31, 2013, to present his unlettered opinion as scientific fact
- There’s no gay gene, there’s no gay brain, there’s no gay hormones and so when we know [that] people aren’t born gay, then essentially change is possible. And ex-gays like myself and thousands of them out across the country are living proof of that. http://www.cbn.com/tv/2577462833001
- The leaders of the organization, Jews Offering New Alternatives to Homosexuality (JONAH), have little knowledge and no credentials to discuss the science of sexual orientation. However, you’d never know this by listening to their co-founders, Arthur Abba Goldberg and Elaine Berk, pretending to be experts. In one video, Berk stated:
The evidence is there, there is no proof of the gay gene, the gay genome has been studied, they found no gay gene or genes. We like to consider ourselves the Weightwatchers or the AA for people with unwanted same-sex attraction.
- In May 2013, the “ex-gay” organization, Setting Captives Free, created a phone app to help people “pray away the gay.” In the introduction, the organization’s founder and president, Mike Cleveland, writes: “First, let me just say that despite what you may have heard elsewhere, you do not have a ‘homosexual gene,’ nor were you born this way with no hope of freedom.”
- Dr. Joseph Nicolosi (who graduated from a strip mall college) is the co-founder of the “ex-gay” therapy organization, the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH). Here is what he wrote (pg. 62) in a book, A Parent’s Guide to Preventing Homosexuality, that he co-authored with his wife Linda Ames Nicolosi: “The answer to the question of inevitability, according to psychiatrist Jeffrey Satinover, is no — no one is ‘born gay.’ There is no evidence demonstrating that homosexuality is genetically or prenatal-hormonally set in stone simply because that child has gender-atypical interests. In fact, none of the research claims that homosexuality is mandated by biology.”
- Texas doctor Dr. Jerry Mungadze believes he can cure homosexuality with a crackpot technique he invented called “Right Brain therapy.” This involves a coloring book, where gay men use crayons to fill in different sections of the human brain, while the good doctor interprets the colors chosen by the client. If part of the brain is pink, we all know what that means. Here is Mungadze’s opinion on the science of sexual orientation: “The good news is, at least with the people that I’ve seen, not a lot of people, when the healing takes place those areas of the brain that were showing the homosexuality show heterosexuality. I have had several people who when I looked at them I couldn’t tell the difference between a heterosexual who never was homosexual and them, which means the brain is able to go back and fire the way it is supposed to be, which is an argument against the whole idea of someone was born that way.”
- PFOX billboard in Richmond, VA, December 2014
- Disgraced therapist Richard Cohen is the founder of the International Healing Foundation and the author of Coming Out Straight. Here is what he wrote in his book: “Communism and the homosexual movement have both utilized the same strategy, which is known as the Big Lie Theory. It is a very simple principle that works like this: If you repeat anything long enough, and loud enough, over time it will become known as fact. Some examples of these big lies, turning myths into facts, are: ‘Homosexuals are born this way’; ‘Once gay always gay’; ‘Homosexuals cannot change'” … Coming Out Straight, p. 46
- At the 2013 Values Voter Summit in Washington, DC, Rev. Rick Scarborough, founder of Vision America proclaimed “You are not born gay. You are recruited.”
- “All men are created equal, but nobody, nobody, nobody is born gay.” Bryan Fischer, American Family Association
- “A lot of people are into this homosexual thing because they’ve been abused by a parent, abused by a coach, abused by a sibling, abused by a friend, they’re little boys and little girls and they don’t know any better and then they somehow think, ‘well I must be gay,’ they aren’t they are heterosexual and they just need to come out of that… . There are others, maybe they’ve got some chromosomal damage that different from heterosexuals.” Pat Robertson
- “Why is the devil convincing people that they were born gay and should cease struggling and accept it?” DL Foster, anti-gay activist
- “Since nurture is the main cause of homosexuality, then society can do something about it to discourage the trends. That is why I have agreed to sign the bill.” Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni justifying why he signed the draconian anti-homosexuality bill into law, that would sentence LGBT people to life in prison.
Unfortunately, we could fill a book with examples of those who twist science to rationalize their contempt for LGBT people. To address this problem, I started another website, Respect My Research, where scientists can speak out when their research on LGBT people has been distorted. Here are a couple videos from that site:
LGBT Science is an extension of Respect My Research, in that it aims to use fact to counter the fiction often presented by anti-gay organizations. History has shown that scientific discoveries or even theories in the wrong hands can be misappropriated for nefarious purposes. We must be diligent and work to ensure that scientific results are accurately reported and serve as a gateway for good that augments society and improves lives.